If you are currently experiencing a water or sewer emergency, please contact the Department of Public Works immediately at 269-312-4040.
- Brian Johnson – Department of Public Supervisor
- Jim Groth – Department of Public Works Technician
- Jeff Pera – Department of Public Works Technician
Community oversight of the Public Works Department is controlled through the Public Services Committee. Residents may express their concerns about issues related to The Village of Lawrence Public Works at PSC meetings which occur the first Wednesday of each month at the Village Hall at 6 pm. See Meetings Notice pdf for exact dates in case of schedule conflicts.
On July 10, 2012 the Village took delivery of a new 2012 Ford 1 Ton dump truck, replacing a 14 year old 1998 GMC 1-Ton truck. The truck was built “up from the frame” with a new dump box and snow plow, matched to the trucks requirements. Purchase cost was $37900 (after a municipal discount of $8405), paid for from the General Fund Savings Account. The 1998 truck with its dump box and snow plow was sold via the municipal standard practice sealed-bid process for $5511, which was applied back to the General Fund.
This truck will be the main work horse of the Village’s fleet. It is used daily 52 weeks per year for picking up trash in the park, filling potholes, transportation to and from work locations, hauling dirt, brush, snow, etc. These activities require all the trucks (in extreme weather conditions) to do a lot of start/stopping which equates to short mileage accumulated, while more wear & tear result. This new truck is also more fuel efficient which will reduce the operating cost budget.
Summary of Village of Lawrence Vehicle and Equipment:
- 2012 Ford 1-Ton dump/work truck. Purchased 2012
- 2001 GMC 3/4 ton pickup service/tool truck, 2 wheel drive, for general transportation. Purchased 2001
- 1998 Ford L-9000 salt/sand plow truck for salt/sand roads. Front plow with 12 ft underbelly scraper with live bottom. Purchased 2013 from Van Buren Road Commission March 2013.
- 1996 Ford L-9000 salt/sand plow truck for salt/sand roads. Front and underbelly plows, hydraulic conveyer system to feed salt/sand to rear spreader. The salt spreader is removed in spring and conveyer is converted for gravel spreading along road edges. Purchased 2010 used from Van Buren Road Commission.1998 Kubota 4700 Tractor for front loading snow, mowing lagoon areas & road edges, landscape rake. Purchased 1998
- 1999 Kubota 2600 with 60″ mowing deck, 48″ snow blower, rotary sweeper. Purchased 1999
- 55,000kw Onan Portable Generator (Tow Behind). To provide temporary power to wells to fill water towers, operate wastewater stations when power outages occur.
Our DPW staff takes great pride in their fleet/equipment and will do everything in their power to insure proper maintenance and operation of the tasks required. All vehicles, equipment, water/sewer pumps, and general tasks are performed and tracked. Work orders created for equipment repair and maintenance are kept on file at the DPW. Public review of maintenance information at Lawrence DPW is always welcome, however with DPW planned weekly schedules it is necessary to contact the Village Administrator coordinate the best time for a visit.
Snow removal for the village takes place at 3″ accumulation. All plowed roads are also salted. We are always willing to apply more salt to any specific road area, contact Theresa Stroud at the Village Hall if you have any concerns on this or any snow removal issue. Please note that our trucks drive a total of 80 miles in the Village limits for each snow removal.
There is now designated parking for the Village parking lot. From 2am to 6am vehicles will need to park in the center area of the parking lot on even days (i.e. Jan 2, 4,6,etc) and park in the west area on odd days (Jan 1,3,5,etc.). This rotation will be only from Nov 1 thru April 1 for proper snow removal.
Mail box damage replacement due to snow removal from plow trucks:
- Any mail box replaced by the Village of Lawrence due to plow damage will be replaced with the (a) standard metal type box. Should the mail box support need replacement, it too will be replaced with a standard type pole. Designer, decorative and or unique types of mail boxes and or their supporting structures will NOT be replaced with similar items.
- Installation labor will be the responsibility of the DPW
- Replaced items will be installed in accordance with United Sates Post Office and Village of Lawrence requirements and guidelines.
- The home owner will be responsible for the disposal of the old mail box and or pole.
- The homeowner must notify the Village of Lawrence that mail box damage has occurred within 24 hours of the incident. This may be accomplished by a phone call to the Village office or visiting the office in person.
- Should a complaint of damage be received, a representative of the DPW and or the Village of Lawrence will inspect the damage within 24 hours of the complaint and make a determination as to how to proceed.
- To be eligible for replacement, the mail box and or its supporting structure must be damaged by direct contact with plow, plow vehicle or some part of it.
- Damage resulting from the impact of snow and or other debris normal to the plowing operation will NOT qualify for replacement.
- Damage that is not the result of normal plowing operations performed by the Village of Lawrence and or its designate should be reported to the Lawrence Police Department. Examples of this would include but are not limited to private plowing contractors, any normal roadway traffic, roadway maintenance equipment not owned or sub-contracted by the Village of Lawrence, etc.
Any questions regarding this policy (created by Public Services Committee 02/11, adopted by Village Council 03/11) may be directed to the Village Administrator, 269-674-8161.